Senator Bong Revilla resigns, admits links to Napoles

Manila, Philippines (April 1) – “This is for my honor and integrity.”

Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. is resigning his senate seat effective April 30. The two-term senator made the announcement during a hastily-called press conference held at the Senate Tuesday afternoon.

Inaamin ko po ang aking naging pagkakasala,” Revilla said, his voice occasionally wavering. “Dahil po dito, ako po ay nagpasyang magbitiw na sa Senado,” he added. His wife, Cavite Rep. Lani Mercado-Revilla, stood beside him during his speech.

Pasensya na po sa milyon-milyong Pilipino na bumoto sa akin noong 2004 at 2010,” Revilla continued, fighting back tears. The actor-politician topped the senate race on both election cycles.

bong revilla janet napoles
Senator Bong Revilla and his wife Lani Mercado with Janet Lim-Napoles (Credits: Inquirer.net)

Once regarded as a potential contender for the 2016 presidential polls, Revilla’s public image has taken a big hit since the pork barrel fund scam erupted July of last year. He however remained mum if he still intends to run for the presidency. “I’ll cross the bridge when I get there,” he said.

Revilla’s stunning announcement came a few hours after Senator Teofisto Guingona III, chairperson of the Senate blue ribbon committee, recommended the filing of plunder charges against Revilla as well as Senators Jinggoy Estrada and Juan Ponce Enrile.

The three legislators are being accused of colluding with businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles in diverting millions of pesos from their respective priority development assistance funds (PDAF) toward fictitious non-government organizations.

In a privilege speech last January, Revilla admitted knowing Napoles personally but denied committing any wrongdoing. He likewise accused the administration of President Benigno Aquino III of being behind the attacks against him.

Speaking to reporters after the speech, Revilla said he will focus on hosting “Kaps Amazing Stories” once he leaves the Senate. “I will also do a movie with (former) Senator Miguel Zubiri. It is a local adaptation of Alibaba and the Forty Thieves,’” Revilla added.

“Like” The Filipino Scribe on Facebook!

Comments

comments

About Mark Madrona 1191 Articles
Mark Madrona is a prize-winning blogger, online journalist, and educator from the Philippines. Previously a book editor, he is now teaching communication subjects for two public universities in Manila. His blog The Filipino Scribe won 3rd place in a blog competition organized by the Affiliated Network for Social Accountability in East Asia and the Pacific (ANSA-EAP). In 2015, it was one of the finalists in the 2015 Lasallian Scholarum Awards for Best Online Feature Article in Youth and Education. He also won the Best Blog Award during the 2011 Population and Development Media Awards, the youngest recipient of that recognition. Know more about him here: http://www.filipinoscribe.com/about/.

3 Comments on Senator Bong Revilla resigns, admits links to Napoles

  1. tungkol ke raon revilla buti nmn tinanggap nya yong pork barrel n ninaqkaw nya sa taong bayan
    dapat lng isauling lahat at mabilanggo sa kamalian
    sabagay walang nagsabi sa sarili nila n sya ay magnanakawat wala sa drug addict na sinabing sila drug addict gayon salasengero na sila ay lasenger gayon sa lahat na di tumatangap n sya bbabaero . mga ahlimbawa yan ng kamalian

  2. Tsk tsk tsk… Anu na ang magagawa ng PEra kong tamaan na ng kahihiyan kahit yung PEra di kaya ng pag takpan ng PEra. What a shameful event for him and his family…

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: