Bongbong Marcos: No announcement yet of 2016 bid on September 20

bongbong marcos 2016
No announcement yet regarding his plans for 2016 (Photo taken from Senator Bongbong Marcos' Facebook page)

Senator Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos II vehemently denied reports being circulated online and via text message that he will be announcing his presidential bid this September 20 at the Philippine Arena in Bocaue, Bulacan.

In a statement to the press, Marcos said that he “never instructed, ordered, encouraged, and/or allowed any individual or group to invite people to the supposed activity” and that no one among his family, relatives, close friends, and staff have done so.

Marcos, the only son and namesake of the late strongman Ferdinand Marcos, expressed his belief that the erroneous advisory aims to discredit him. “I even received reports that people are being promised P4,500 for their attendance at the Philippine Arena, which is totally false because, in the first place, there will be no activity on September 20 that involves me,” he said.

bongbong marcos 2016
No announcement yet regarding his plans for 2016
(Photo taken from Senator Bongbong Marcos’ Facebook page)

“The truth about my plans in 2016 will only come from me and no one else. No one is authorized to speak on my behalf regarding my plans,” he reiterated. Marcos served as governor and congressman of Ilocos Norte before being elected Senator in 2010.

A member of the Nacionalista Party led by former Senate President Manuel Villar Jr., Marcos is frequently mentioned as a possible presidential candidate although he is far behind the front runners according to recent public opinion polls.

More recently, he is said to be the top choice of Vice President Jejomar Binay as his running-mate, although a deal is yet to be finalized. The political partnership between the two, if it materializes, will be all the more interesting since Binay first came to national prominence as an activist and human rights lawyer when Marcos’ father was president.

In fact, Binay extensively used his ties to the 1986 People Power Revolution and the family of the late former President Corazon Aquino to win the vice presidential race.

PLEASE LIKE “THE FILIPINO SCRIBE” ON FACEBOOK!

Comments

comments

About Mark Madrona 1191 Articles
Mark Madrona is a prize-winning blogger, online journalist, and educator from the Philippines. Previously a book editor, he is now teaching communication subjects for two public universities in Manila. His blog The Filipino Scribe won 3rd place in a blog competition organized by the Affiliated Network for Social Accountability in East Asia and the Pacific (ANSA-EAP). In 2015, it was one of the finalists in the 2015 Lasallian Scholarum Awards for Best Online Feature Article in Youth and Education. He also won the Best Blog Award during the 2011 Population and Development Media Awards, the youngest recipient of that recognition. Know more about him here: http://www.filipinoscribe.com/about/.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: