June 15 2013 holiday in Cagayan de Oro

Cagayan de Oro City in Misamis Oriental will be marking its 63rd Charter Day anniversary this June 15. The day, which falls on a Saturday, is a special non-working holiday in the said city in northern Mindanao as declared in Republic Act (RA) 7670. RA 7670 took effect during the term of then-President Fidel V. Ramos. Click here to read the full text of RA 7670.

The city charter of Cagayan de Oro, known as RA 5521, came into being in June 15, 1950. Elpidio Quirino was the Philippine president at that time. Access RA 521 here. Cagayan de Oro have played a major role in Philippine history.

English: Map of Misamis Oriental showing the l...
Cagayan de Oro City (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

In 1872, Governor-General Carlos María de La Torre designated Cagayan as the permanent capital of Segundo Distrito de Misamis (modern-day Misamis Oriental). From being known as simply Cagayan, the place came to be known as Cagayan de Misamis.

Almost a century later, Congressman Emmanuel Pelaez successfully led the effort to rename Cagayan de Misamis as Cagayan de Oro. He went on to serve as Vice President from 1961 to 1965. Cagayan de Oro was declared a highly urbanized city in 1983.

*June 15, 2013 may also be declared as a holiday in Pampanga just like last year. This is to commemorate the 22nd anniversary of the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo. Watch out for updates.

Please “like” The Filipino Scribe on Facebook!


About Author



Mark Pere Madrona

The Filipino Scribe (TFS) is managed by Mark Pere Madrona, a multi-awarded writer and licensed professional teacher from the Philippines. Mr. Madrona earned his master’s degree in history from the University of the Philippines-Diliman last 2020. He obtained his bachelor’s degree in journalism cum laude from the same university back in 2010. His area of interests includes Philippine journalism, history, and politics as well as social media. Know more about him here: https://www.filipinoscribe.com/about/.

2 thoughts on “June 15 2013 holiday in Cagayan de Oro

  1. Even before the Spanish occupation, the place was named Kagay-haan which roughly translates as “a place of shame”. One local legend speaks of a Maranao princess marrying a certain datu. The union of Datu Bagani and Bai Lawanen brought chaos between the two tribes. Bagani’s followers were driven to Bukidnon. Because of their anger, they change the name of their old village(Kalambagohan) along the river where a lot of Lambago trees used to grow into Kagayhaan-a place of shame. Shame because their own datu betrayed his flock and married the enemy’s daughter.

    And now the folks in CDO celebrate its local mardigras every 28th of August “Kagayhaan Festival” which of course sounds like “The Festival of Shame”.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.