DepEd: Still no face-to-face classes for school year 2021-2022
The Department of Education (DepEd) has released the official calendar for school year 2021-2022 which will run from September 13, 2021 up to June 24, 2022. This was outlined in DepEd Secretary Leonor Briones’ Department Order No. 29-2021 which was released August 5. According to Briones, students will have 209 class days next school year, which is in line with the number of school days required by Republic Act 7797.
In her order, Briones noted that face-to-face classes whether partial or full-scale will not be allowed anywhere in the country unless it is permitted by President Rodrigo Duterte. It can be recalled that Briones has repeatedly floated the possibility of having pilot face-to-face classes in selected areas deemed at low risk of local transmission of COVID-19. Duterte, for his part, has remained adamant in rejecting such proposals.
During his sixth and last State of the Nation Address last July, Duterte said: “Until the COVID-19 vaccine is available, I will not allow the traditional face-to-face teaching or learning unless [all] risks of exposure to sickness are eliminated. I cannot and will not put to risk the health and lives of our students and teachers.”
Briones added that private schools and basic education units under state universities and colleges can begin their classes for SY 2021-2022 anytime between the first Monday of June and September 13 provided that these will not be done face-to-face. They are also required to submit to their respective DepEd Regional Offices a learning continuity plan, their school calendar for 2020-2021, as well as plans for compliance with the minimum health standards to be set by the government.
Below are some highlights from the released school calendar. The entire document has been embedded toward the end of this post as a reference.
1) The enrollment period will be from August 16 to September 13, 2021
2) Brigada Eskwela already began last August 3
3) The most essential learning competencies identified for each subject area from Grade 1 to 12 will still serve as a guide for SY 2021-2022
4) The conduct of curricular and co-curricular activities that involve gathering of large number of learners, such as science fairs, showcase of portfolios, trade fairs, school sports, campus journalism, festival of talents, job fairs, career orientation, and other similar activities are suspended for the school year, except for those that can be conducted through online platform.
5) The first quarter will run from September 13 to November 12, 2021, while the second quarter will be from November 15, 2021 to January 28, 2021
6) The Christmas break will last from December 20, 2021 to January 2, 2022
7) There will be a midyear break, and it will be from January 31 to February 6, 2021
8) The third quarter will last from February 7 to April 8, 2022, while the fourth quarter will be from April 11 to June 24, 2022