Korina Sanchez should not be faulted for Bongbong Marcos’ decision to be on her show
As reported by The Filipino Scribe yesterday, former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos, Jr. declined to participate in a live forum for presidential candidate that the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster sa Pilipinas (KBP) organized this Friday (February 4) citing a schedule conflict.
A few hours after the KBP forum ended, it was revealed that Marcos actually did an interview with veteran broadcast journalist Korina Sanchez for her weekly news magazine “Rated Korina” earlier today. “That is just but one of the many activities we have in the full schedule of presidential aspirant Bongbong Marcos today,” Marcos’ spokesperson Vic Rodriguez said when asked if his boss skipped the KBP event to appear on Sanchez’ program. Rodriguez had also previously said that Marcos prefer one-on-one interviews over debates where he will have to appear with his rivals.
Sanchez is getting criticisms from Internet commenters for giving platform to Marcos – the man who is running against Vice President Leni Robredo. It must be remembered that Robredo was the running-mate of her husband Mar Roxas during his failed 2016 presidential run. Korina Sanchez’ work as a journalist must be separated from her role as a politician’s wife. It must not be forgotten that Sanchez interviewed three other presidential candidates in recent months including Manila Mayor Isko Moreno Domagoso, Senator Manny Pacquiao, and Robredo. Also, her husband Roxas is not an active participant in the 2022 election cycle.
In a post on her program’s official Facebook page, Sanchez explained: “When we invited BBM, it was his team who chose the time and date. We had no choice.” It is Sanchez’ way of saying that her team did not coordinate with Marcos’ camp to have the interview scheduled on the same day as the KBP forum. The Marcos’ was the one who used his appearance on “Rated Korina” as an excuse for him to avoid another media appearance.