DepEd releases official calendar for school year 2023-2024
School opening set for August 29, 2023
The Department of Education (DepEd) has announced that school year 2023-2024 for public elementary and high schools throughout the Philippines will officially open on 29 August 2023, Tuesday. This is because August 22 is a national holiday in connection with the National Heroes Day. It will end by 14 June 2024, inclusive of the end of school year rites.
This is outlined in Vice President and Concurrent Education Sara Duterte’s Department Order No. 22-2023 which was released August 4. In her order, Duterte reiterated that private schools and basic education units under state universities and colleges can deviate from the school calendar as long as there would still be between 200 to 220 class days per school year as stipulated in Republic Act 11480.
Below are some of the other highlights from the school calendar for 2023-2024. The entire document has been embedded below as a reference.
1) Duterte reiterated that face-to-face or in-person classes will remain the primary learning delivery modality in all schools nationwide.
2) Nevertheless, private schools can still implement blended and fully online learning modalities.
3) Enrollment period will be from August 7 to 26, 2023.
4) Brigada Eskwela will run from August 14 to 19, 2023.
5) Oplan Balik Eskwela will be in operation from August 14 to 26, 2023.
6) The midyear In-Service Training or INSET will be from January 24-26 and 29-30, 2024.
7) The Christmas break will be from December 18, 2023 to January 2, 2024. Classes will resume by January 3, 2024.
8) Duterte’s order clarified once and for all that the end of school year (EOSY) rites like recognition, moving up, and graduation ceremonies should already by done by June 14, 2024 comes. This settles the unjust situation where public school teachers still come to their respective schools for EOSY events even if classes have already ended.
[scribd id=663185822 key=key-lSBOYF2zRJ8hPZmzUWNH mode=scroll]